Monday, October 1, 2012

The Impact of Mindsets

See full size imageAfter reading the first three chapters in the Mindset book, I agree with the two main principles which are you either have a fixed mindset or a growth mindset.  I agree with this because I can see that I have a fixed mindset in certain aspects of my life.  This book connects to the 10,000 hour theory and the motivation behind it.  If you have a fixed mindset you believe that the skills that you were naturally given can’t be expanded or developed.  On the other hand a person with the growth mindset believes at any point you can master these certain tasks with hard work and practice, basically agreeing with the theory that it takes 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to master something.  A person with the fixed mindset would rather do something simple and do well on it than try something challenging and have the possibility of failing.  I always knew that my mindset held me back from learning but only in certain subjects.  Math, for example, I rather do something I already know how to do than fail at something new. Therefore prohibiting my learning, however this is the only aspect of my life that I think like that.  The book states that you can change your mindset, even knowing the qualities of each mindset will change the way you think about things.  The examples given in the book are amazing, such as the man who was paralyzed from the neck down trained him to move his arms, legs and torso again.  If things like this can happen with the growth mindset why wouldn’t people try their hardest to change the way they look at things, and see stretching themselves as a learning experience instead of an opportunity to fail.  All together the first three chapters have already impacted me, and I can’t wait to keep reading.              

No comments:

Post a Comment