Twyla Tharp
After completing this week’s reading assignments for
Twyla Tharp Creative Habit so far I think it’s interesting. Being a non creative person most of the
concepts she talks about are all foreign to me.
Such as you can do exercises to get your creative juices flowing, she
also talks about things that block creativity.
When I say I’m not creative I have a hard time thinking outside of the
box and drawing was never one of my strong skills. On the other hand I relate to her in some
ways because she is a dancer/ choreographer, I've danced since I was two years
old and now I assistant teach two classes on Saturday mornings. However I couldn't imagine creating my own
numbers and teaching them to students, that’s why I’m still an assistant. After reading the first few chapters of Twyla
Tharp a lot of my misconceptions were cleared up. For instance I always thought someone who was
good at drawing would be just as good at sculpting or pottery which is
wrong. She also goes back to the
question of natural ability or practice.
In her research and professional opinion she believes there is no such
thing as natural talent. Using Mozart as
a example he was not just a natural musical genius he practiced so much his
hand were deformed by the time he was twenty eight. Twyla Tharp makes a lot of good points in her
book one of them being that having rituals is vital to leading a healthy
life. Because having a ritual makes you
do the specific task that you know you should do but sometimes feel too lazy to
get it done. I find this to be very true
in my life. I try to go to the gym six
times a week and the days where I usually go but didn't that day I find myself
eating unhealthy things and more lazy in general.
No comments:
Post a Comment