Friday, November 9, 2012

Facing Fears

tall-buildings-high-rises-residences-condosThis blog was very hard for me because I don’t really fear that many things in life besides the obvious things like death or being tortured, however I do not like heights.  In fact even looking at tall buildings can give me slight anxiety.  I figured the best way to help conquer this fear would be to desensitize myself to it.  Therefore I went to the top floor of the student center sat in the lounge section by a window and did my homework.  This may seem small or ridiculous to others but to me it’s a real fear.   Every so often id look out the window and be reminded of how high up I was, but then id realize there’s no way I could fall out.  I wouldn’t say this made me completely get over my fear of heights, but it’s a step in the right direction.  The strange thing about my fear of heights is its only when I’m in a stationary place.  For example I can go on any roller coaster and be fine, but if I’m on the top level of a mall and look down I get very scared.    While I was doing my homework on the top level of the student center after awhile I didn’t even realize how high up I was because I was more concerned with doing my homework.  So my strategy from now on is going to be to preoccupy myself when somewhere high up or on the top floor of a tall building.   

No comments:

Post a Comment